« Second Amendment Lite | Main | Irreconcilable Differences »

Mike Brodsky

    Two weeks ago I wrote about the husband of one of my nieces having been shot in Afghanistan. Michael Brodsky (MA2) had in fact been critically wounded by an IED blast:

   "Late Saturday night (7 July 2012) in an undisclosed area of Afgahnistan Mike was on patrol. His unit started taking fire. He took his dog Jackson and put him back in the truck as he was trained to do, and then returned to the fight. It was then that he stepped on a pressure plate."

   In critical condition and unresponsive--Mike had lost both legs--he was flown to Germany where doctors tried to save him. On the morning of July seventeenth, he was awarded the Purple Heart.

   The following is from Chuck, who kept information flowing through Facebook while Mike was being treated in Germany:

   "Spoke with Papa Brodsky (Mike's father) about an 1 1/2 hours ago (July 18) and here is the latest: progress not a lot but there is progress. The doctors are attempting to transfer Mike to Landsthul, Germany. Hopefully Mike will be ready to be transferred to a hospital in Landsthul by the weekend. There Mike will undergo multiple surgeries. He is still absolutely in very critical condition. There are several injuries so we will avoid any specifics or speculations. He will Remain in ICU. This hospital will be able to tell when Mike is ready to travel to Bethesda. There is absolutely no time table for that upon arrival and sometime following Mike will be observed and evaluated on his condition. Papa Brodsky wants to ensure that you all know he is thankful to you. Please continue the support, prayers that you all have provided."

   On the 19th, Chuck made the following post: "Received a call from Papa Brodsky about an hour or so ago. Mike has been transported and arrived in Landsthul, Germany. He is still in very critical condition. Upon arrival went in for wound cleaning which is considered surgery. Mike is in the ICU. He will be followed up with observations and continue further examination and continue treatment for many injuries. Mom, Dad, and Cory are there with him and will be residing at the Fischer House near the hospital. Again thank you all for the continued support best wishes and prayers."

   Saturday, July 21st, two weeks after Mike was injured, the saddest of news came: "This is without the hardest post to make right now: To all: Just spoke to Papa Brodsky and Phil Hertz there is no easy way to say this we have lost MA2 Mike Brodsky. He was in incredibly bad condition the Doctors, Corpsmen, friends and family did everything possible. Mikey had a living will which clearly stated he did not want to be assisted to continue in the condition he was currently in and the condition that awaited him in the future. Please thank you all for the PRAYERS , Kind Words and ever appreciated support. As a request from the family no calls for at least a week while they get back to the greatest country in the world US Soil and are able to regain their bearings along with dealing with this tremendous loss. I know there will be an incredible amount of hurt after Phil and I hit the send button. We must stay together and continue to support for one another. To all thank for all the support that has been given and continued support will be valued and appreciated."

   Mike, you are missed by more people than you might have ever imagined. Tears have been shed on three continents on your behalf. Your smile still shines, your warmth still lingers in our hearts. Rest in peace.

   Micheal J. Brodsky was thirty-three years old.

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (4)

I have since learned more about how and when Mike died, some of the details of which contradict what I have written above. Out of respect for the bereaved, I will refrain from writing about it any further.

Keep Mike's family in your thoughts and prayers; keep Mike in your hearts.

July 24, 2012 | Registered CommenterAonghas Crowe

On Tuesday, the Department of Defense released the following information:

DOD Identifies Navy Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a sailor who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael J. Brodsky, 33, of Tamarac, Fla., died July 21 in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, from injuries related to a dismounted improvised explosive device blast. He was assigned to Navy Region Southwest Security Detachment, San Diego.

For further information related to this release, contact commander, Navy Region Southwest Public Affairs at 619-532-1430.

July 25, 2012 | Registered CommenterAonghas Crowe

WPTV's Channel Five news reported the following:

Friends and family members of a U.S. Navy sailor from Tamarac are in mourning after learning the 33-year-old died from injuries he sustained earlier this month in Afghanistan.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael J. Brodsky, 33, died from the injuries caused by a blast from a dismounted improvised explosive device in Kandahar Province, the Department of Defense announced Tuesday.

Family members said he had lost both legs and was struggling to stay alive.

"He died a true hero," said his grandfather, Stanley Brodsky, of Pembroke Pines.

Brodsky's parents, Steven and Debra, and his brother Corey were in Germany when the sailor died. The grandfather said the parents were asking for privacy.

Brodsky trained bomb-sniffing dogs for the Navy and had recently re-enlisted with the military branch for another six years, the grandfather said.

Brodsky had been assigned to the San Diego-based Navy Region Southwest Security Detachment since December 2010. He enlisted in 2001 and served overseas in Sasebo, Japan and Bahrain, according to military officials.

According to family and friends, Brodsky was on patrol in an undisclosed area when his unit came under fire on July 7. Brodsky reportedly rushed to a nearby truck to shelter his K9 partner, Jackson.

As he returned to the fire fight, Brodsky stepped on a mine, his grandfather said.

Read more:

July 25, 2012 | Registered CommenterAonghas Crowe

The icasualties site which maintains a database of casualties in Afghanistan has noted the cause of death as "Hostile - hostile fire - IED attack (while defusing)".

July 25, 2012 | Registered CommenterAonghas Crowe

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.